Tuesday, July 8, 2008

What Kind Of Day Has It Been


You may find here that none of the posts have included more than about eight and a half actual words. It's because everyone involved has gotten home the past two nights and checked to see if they were still alive. Except Clint. He's got actual stamina and energy, whereas I fed all of mine to a dog or something over the past 2 days.
Day 1 started for me in the ER. My son has Croup, and we found that out when he woke us up at 11:30pm barking like a dog. His barking turned out to be his attempt at breathing, and so we were at the ER until about 3:30am. (He's doing great, though, as seen here with Uncle Ben and Uncle Darren:)

The rest of day 1 was a completely divine work of art. We shot four (FANTASTIC) scenes and got out on time. I came home incredibly fulfilled, but also incredibly worried that everything was going to fall apart at any minute. Because, you know, I just have to think that way.

Day 2 wasn't the debacle I expected it to be, but it wasn't the best day I've ever had in my entire life. We got off to a slow start and never seemed to get our engine running. Honestly it felt like we were still running off Day 1's fuel, chugging toxic fumes essentially. We were also filming a lot of inserts of stoplights, which, I'm convinced, are incapable of delivering a satsifying level of onscreen energy, no matter what lens you use. They just sit there and shine on cars, guiding traffic, a bunch of uninspiring sons of b's. It also felt like we were underprepared and understaffed. My theory is that it's because we were underprepared and understaffed.
And yet after all the fumes and untalented stoplights, I came home, strangely enough, feeling more fulfilled than I did on Day 1, more excited to take on tomorrow, to point at things and frame things with my hand, to rig heavy cameras and spring-loaded arms to Jeff and push Ben down the stairs and instruct Tyler to choke Darren, and then to make everyone do all of this a minimum of twelve times. I can't wait to get up tomorrow and go to work on Day 3.
As long as my arms and legs don't fall off first.

No comments: